Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Ella's Birth Story

I was scheduled for a c-section on April 3rd. My only fear was that our baby would decide to come early. Well, yesterday morning, my fear became reality.


I woke up around 8:15 AM to my water breaking. I woke Tom up and told him that our plans for the day have just changed (yesterday was my niece's 2nd bday party). He grabbed my cell phone so I could call my OB. Of course, my OB was not on call this weekend and neither were her partners. It was a doctor from another practice taking calls for her. Dr. Anderson said to get packed and get to Northside.


Meanwhile, our project for the morning was going to be to go ahead and pack my suitcase so it would be ready to go, just in case. That suitcase did get packed, but it went a lot faster than planned! About an hour later, we had everything together and were on our way to the hospital.


Upon checking in with admissions, I found out that the charge nurse for labor and delivery that morning was actually one of my friends from synagogue. I was so happy to see her, I almost cried! She assured me that I would love Dr. Anderson and that everything would be fine. And, she said she was positive I was having a girl! :)


I was put in a room and they hooked up the monitor, had me fill out paperwork, took my labs, etc. I met the anesthesiologist and Dr. Anderson. Dr. Anderson had already spoken w/ my colo-rectal surgeon who was going to come in, even though she wasn't on call (I love Dr. Schertzer!).


The anesthesiologist came back and put in my epidural. As soon as I lied back down, my heart rate dropped into the 40's. They were still trying to readjust the baby's monitor at the same time. My heart rate came back up pretty quickly, but then the baby's dropped. So, we went from a very relaxed environment to full panic mode.


I heard a nurse tell Tom to get into his gown as they were wheeling me out of the room. They literally ran me down the hall to the OR. I was doing fine until that point. I started to get really nervous and panicky!


As soon as they moved me onto the OR table and hooked up the monitors again, baby's heart rate went back up. Apparently, Ella had decided that the doctors were GOING to stick to the scheduled time (I was scheduled for 12:30 PM, but they were running a bit behind, of course).


Meanwhile, Tom was still not in the room with me. They finally brought him in. The anesthesiologist asst. at my head took some pics of us and then Tom sat down and held my hand. About 2 minutes later they said do you want to see? Tom looked over and told me it was a girl! It all went so fast!


Ella did great on her first day. She was pretty feisty (as she was inside the womb) and cried until after her first bath. After the bath, she only cried when the nurses took her temperature.


She is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen and we are looking forward to loving her forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment