Wednesday, May 6, 2009

More from Ella's First Month

As many of my friends and family know, I have an "addiction" to a certain website's chat boards. Fortunately, that addiction is now coming in handy. I posted a lot of stories and questions over the last six weeks and I am now able to go back to those posts and put the really important stuff here. I'm going to post them in date order, word for word as I posted them then. Some of them are pretty funny looking back now (as if they are so old)!

From March 25, 2009: Ella is a Little Piglet!


Ella is only 3 days old and is already drinking 2 oz. Tom fed her at 7 this morning and she sucked down the whole bottle. Meanwhile, an hour later, she is STILL HUNGRY!

It seems like so much food for such a little peanut. Do we feed her more now? She isn't crying, just won't go to sleep and is "fussing" a little bit. If this keeps up, we are really going to be poor from all the formula!


My little peanut in the hospital.

From March 26, 2009: We're Still in the Hospital :(

I was supposed to be discharged yesterday after I had an outpatient procedure to fix the fissure that I had issues with in December and January. While I was in recovery, I spiked a fever of 103. I was stuck there from about 3:30 until 9:30 when they finally released me back to my room. My poor Mom and Tom had been in the room waiting for hours with no word on what was going on with me. We were all very frustrated.

I thought I'd be going home today, but no such luck. The fever came back at 4AM and then again at 11:30 this morning. My surgeon told me that as long as it stays below 101, she'll let me go home tomorrow.

I know that my health is important, but I've been stuck in the hospital since Saturday and am really antsy to get Ella home!

Keep your fingers crossed that my temperature stays down!

Fortunately, my fever did stay down and we were able to take Ella home on March 27th.


Ella poses on her last day in the hospital.

Welcome home, Ella!

From March 28, 2009: Ella is Already to Funny!

We really want to get her on a feeding schedule as fast as possible (who doesn't, right?). So, we've been trying to hold her to a feeding closer to every 4 hours since yesterday morning. Today, her schedule got a little screwed up time-wise, so my mom tried to feed her at 9PM (after 3 hours instead of 4). Ella was not having it! She was so not ready to eat. She is proving to us that SHE makes the rules now, of course!


Hanging out in the crib.

From April 10, 2009: Frustrated

The last 2 nights, Ella has not been sleeping well in her crib. If she is already sound asleep when we put her in there, she's fine, but if she's just starting to fall asleep when we put her down, she'll wake up and start fussing. So, we discovered last night that she will sleep soundly if we put her down on her tummy (figured this out because I brought her into our room and decided to give her some tummy time. She immediately fell asleep and stayed that way until I moved her back to her crib an hour later.

She obviously prefers sleeping on her tummy to being on her back. I am, of course, really nervous about putting her on her tummy in her crib, when we are not right there to watch her, since she is so little. At the same time, I haven't slept at all in the last 2 nights, b/c I keep getting up when she starts fussing. I know that my nephew and both of my nieces would only sleep on their tummies, as well, so I am not totally surprised about this. I'm just not sure what to do.

From April 13, 2009: Update to Frustrated Post


Thanks to all you wonderful ladies for your advice on our fussy Ella! We decided to start putting the gas drops in her bottles and swaddling her in the miracle blanket at night in her crib. So far, it's been 3 nights and she has been much better. No fussing in between feedings. I hope that this trend continues, as I am much less worried now and actually sleeping for a few hours at night now!

Ella continues to do well in her crib, as long as she is swaddled in her miracle blanket. She even sleeps anywhere from 4 1/2 to 6 hours at night now!


From April 17, 2009:
Ugh, I think I'm sleeping in the guest room tonight!

Tom went to sleep before me because he is taking Ella's middle of the night feeding. He is snoring so loud, I can't take it! The breathe right strip is worthless! Do you think I'd be totally rude if I slept in the other room after I feed Ella in an hour?

I did sleep in the guest room that night and Tom actually slept in there for the next few nights. He was so exhausted and his allergies were so bad that he was snoring exceptionally loud. Thank goodness that went away!


From April 18, 2009: Ella is a Piglet!

She is obviously going through a growth spurt right now. Tom and I both got on our scale last night and then got on the scale again with Ella in our arms. She weighs 8 pounds. She's gained 2 lbs. in 2 weeks! She's been drinking 4 oz. for about the same amount of time and the last few days she's been fussy 5 minutes after we finish feeding her. Tonight, there was no consoling her so Tom made her another ounce and she drank the whole thing! I can't believe my daughter is not yet one month old and she already wants to drink 5 oz. She's going to be a porker if she keeps this up!

I took Ella to the doctor's office to get an official weight on April 29th. Sure enough, she weighs 8 pounds, 5 1/2 ounces. We did learn that the reason she was drinking so much was because we were stretching out her feedings too long. We were really feeding her on demand at that point, which was ever four hours. Apparently, Ella is such an easygoing baby that she wasn't fussing until she was really starving! We have now gone back to feeding her on a schedule (every 3 hours until bed time) and she is back down to 4 oz.


From April 21, 2009: Ella is 1 Month Old Today!


Our pediatrician doesn't do a one month appointment so I am going to bring her by the office to weigh her myself sometime next week. According to our scale, Ella weighs 8 lbs. already, but I'd like to know the exact amount!

I took her 1 month picture with Tom's help this afternoon. We plan to sit her in this chair each month to see how much she's grown.


No comments:

Post a Comment